httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Walter H." <Walte...@mathemainzel.info>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] dynamic virtual hosts
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:31:33 GMT
Hi,

On 12.03.2014 16:15, Rose, John B wrote:
> We have been experimenting with "mod vhost alias" and "mod rewrite"
> methods of dynamic virtual hosting
>
> They both work fine for …
> abc.persons.domain.com
> xyz.persons.domain.com
>  Etc.
>
> We would also like to be able to do dynamic virtual hosting for a
> mixture of sub domains and domains …
> 111.subdomain1.domain.com
> subdomain1.domain.com
> 222.subdomain2.domain.com
> subdomain2.domain.com
> subdomain3.domain2.com
> subdomain4.domain2.com
>
>    1. Does any have preferences, pros, cons, what is best for scaling
>       to hundreds of virtual hosts over years, etc between the
>       alternative methods of dynamic virtual hosts configurations?
>    2. Has anyone used a method they think is best for dynamic virtual
>       hosting for a mixture of domains and subdomains

Is there a semantic reason for having this many subdomains?
in present I can see many sites that make use of many subdomains for a
not logic reason;
for restrictive smart surfing this can be a very good feature - just
block a subdomain, to prevent stupid javascripts or css files to be
downloaded ;-)
using scripts from foreign sites that are only used on client side is
the worst, you can do;

if these represent sites of individuals than it is a good idea to have
each one his own subdomain for the complete individual's website;

Greetings,
Walter