httpd-users mailing list archives

From Charles W Buege <cbu...@moreycorp.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Traffic forwarding.....
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 18:37:54 GMT
All -

I've got HA working for Apache and also reverse proxy working as well. You
can see the attached JPG for my layout.

10.1.12.11/10.1.12.12 have a heartbeat between them keeping the virtual IP
address 10.1.12.10.
The httpd services on both .11 and .12 are only configured to proxy
forward to the next apache servers depending on what the incoming host
name is.  If the incoming traffic is going to www.avengers.org, it
forwards the traffic on to 10.1.12.4 (set in the hosts file on each of the
proxy/high availability machines).  If the incoming traffic is going to
site2.avengers.org, then it goes to 10.1.12.6.  The client always only
sees these two web sites as 10.1.12.10.

Here's what I'd like to do now:  If there is an incoming connection to
www.avengers.org that is going to port 3306 (MySQL) for example, how can I
configure the system to pass this information along?

In reality, what I'm trying to figure out how to do is, with my existing
configuration, how to pass traffic that ISN'T 80 or 443 on to the right
host depending on the incoming host name.  In my actual production
environment, I will have some web services running on some of the servers
and I'm trying to avoid moving them all to different IP addresses so I can
keep the DNS information the same as it currently is.  So, I guess what
I'm saying is how can I use the single IP address of 10.1.12.10 pointing
to either host name and have Apache proxy pass the data along to the
proper server depending on the incoming request.

I may be all wet and my idea may not even work.  Go ahead and yell at me
if I'm trying to do something impossible.

If my question doesn't make sense, please feel free to ask for more
details and I will share as best as I can.

Thank you,
Charles

This e-mail, including attachments, may contain information that is
confidential and/or proprietary, and may only be used by the person to
whom this email is addressed. If the recipient of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If this e-mail has been delivered to you in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this e-mail
immediately.