httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jakub Moscicki <Jakub.Mosci...@cern.ch>
Subject [users@httpd] reverse proxy: connect to origin servers via http or https?
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 03:20:25 GMT
Hello,

I have a reverse proxy (apache 2.2) with mod_proxy_balancer with https visible to the outside
world.

The question is: from the proxy performance/scalability point of view is it better to configure
backends (origin servers) with http or with https?

Is it true that if proxy is setup https->http then it only has to decrypt/encrypt the headers
and the body is encrypted/decrypted on the backend? I do not use mod_proxy_html (but maybe
there are other modules which affect this behaviour on the proxy?.

How either setup affects latency of handling requests? With https->https do I have to do
two handshakes (on the proxy and on the backend) for every connection? I have KeepAlive both
on the proxy and the backends.

Many thanks.

Best regards,

kuba