httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Riggen, Scott" <Scott.Rig...@escocorp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] RE: Having issues trying to use rewriterule,proxypass,proxyreversepass
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:57:13 GMT

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Evans [mailto:tevans.uk@googlemail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 8:48 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] RE: Having issues trying to use rewriterule,proxypass,proxyreversepass

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Riggen, Scott <Scott.Riggen@escocorp.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I put port# in to indicate that we are using a different port than standard on the inside
network/server.
> In this case it is an Oracle SOA server on port 7011.
> I can assure you that none of my actual rules contains or begins with a # sign.
>
> I'm still not sure why my rewrite rules are not working and have been banging on this
for a few days now.

> Scott

Two things:

1) Post actual configs. If I don't know whether what you are saying is what you are running,
it is very hard to speculate what is going wrong.
2) Turn on the rewrite log at level 5 or above. Identify a request which does not redirect
correctly and look at why.

Actually a few more:

"then I think I need ProxyReversePass to get traffic back to the client."

Mmm - no. ProxyPassReverse rewrites certain headers. If your backend web-app does a redirect,
and the redirect doesn't work/leaves your browser somewhere funny, then your ProxyPassReverse
is incorrect. If your request never makes it to your backend, then ProxyPassReverse is never
coming in to play.

Proxying via rewrite rules is trickier than just using ProxyPass. Why not use ProxyPass?

Proxying to different paths is trickier than proxying to the same path. Why proxy / to /dir1/dir2/login.aspx,
when you can just proxy /dir1/dir2/ to /dir1/dir2/ and use a redirect on the proxy to send
people who go to / to the right location.

Make it easy, make it work, then make it work how you want. Also turn on and read the logs
if you persist with rewrite.

Cheers

Tom