httpd-users mailing list archives

From Charles W Buege <cbu...@moreycorp.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Proxy questions - part 2
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2014 21:47:46 GMT
Yehuda -

I partially understand what you're saying, but I also want to make 100%
sure my question is being answered.  Maybe this will make my question a
bit clearer.

In the attached image (ProxyExample.jpg), I want to setup a proxy server
(Physical Server 1).  What I want is if someone tries to access any of the
following web sites, they pass through Physical Server 1 prior to getting
to the actual system:
www.mycompany.com
anothersite.mycompany.com
thirdsite.mycompany.com

Now when someone from the outside world goes to 'www.mycompany.com' (which
I presume via DNS matches the IP address of Physical Server 1), I'd like
the proxy server to pass along the request to Physical Server 2.

I'd also like it to happen where if Physical Server 4's Apache instance is
down for maintenance (backups, year end processing, etc.), that the Proxy
Server (Physical Server 1) can display a message saying that the site is
down for maintenance.  I'm presuming this would be handled via the
'ErrorDocument 503' that you mentioned in your last e-mail, yes?

I also presume that the DNS entries for www.mycompany.com,
anothersite.mycompany.com, and thirdsite.mycompany.com would all have the
same IP address and then the Proxy Server (Physical Server 1) would play
'traffic cop' and then forward the necessary traffic to the proper host
behind the scenes.

Is what I am describing here what a proxy server can do for me?  Am I
getting this concept correct or am I completely missing something?  As I
said previously, proxy and such are completely new to me.

Also if anyone wants to point me towards somewhere where I can learn more
about this (web site, books, etc.) so I'm not cluttering up this mailing
list with newbie questions, please feel free to point me that way.

Thank you,
Charles

This e-mail, including attachments, may contain information that is
confidential and/or proprietary, and may only be used by the person to
whom this email is addressed. If the recipient of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If this e-mail has been delivered to you in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this e-mail
immediately.