httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Behr <beh...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Passing Authentication or REMOTE_USER from One Apache Server to Another
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:16:12 GMT
Hi there,

I have two separate web applications, each on a different Apache (2.2)
server.  A user first authenticates on *Server A* (either by Basic HTTP or
LDAP) and gains access to the web application.  At some point, the user has
the option to launch the second web application on *Server B*.

The second web application requires REMOTE_USER to be set; it will not
start without it.  Therefore, I need the REMOTE_USER from *Server A* to be
passed to *Server B*.

I have explored two avenues:

   1. Set-up a proxy using mod_proxy_http and leverage the proxy-chain-auth
   environment variable.

   2. Passing REMOTE_USER via mod_rewrite and RewriteCond.

Am I headed down the right track?  What is the typical way of handling this
situation?

I have tried the following httpd.conf configuration on *Server A*, but it
fails to retrieve any REMOTE_USER (which I am accessing via PHP):

ProxyPass /test http://ServerB/
ProxyPassReverse /test http://ServerB/
SetEnv Proxy-Chain-Auth On

I would appreciate any help!