httpd-users mailing list archives

From Niels Rymenams ...@lxit.be>
Subject [users@httpd] Configure 2 virtuals hosts: 1 for a specific subdomain and 1 for as a catch-all
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 08:07:05 GMT
Hi,

I'm sorry for the n00b question, but this is the first time that I need to
configure Apache myself and I can't seem to get my configuration right.

I want to set up a webserver hosting a site (/home/user/www/website) under
a subdomain: website.example.org
Although I want to catch all other requests to the webserver on the domain
and/or subdomains: example.org, host.example.org, www.example.org, ...

I have a default Ubuntu 12.10 installation and have copied the default
configuration in /etc/apache2/sites-available to user-site. I modified both
(only the first few lines defining the ServerName/ServerAlias and
DocumentRoot) using the Apache documentation.
[Configurations are below this e-mail]

When surfing to www.example.org I see the catch-all website, but any other
subdomain goes to the main website.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Kind regards,
Niels R.

------

This is the default configuration (acting as the catch-all):

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@example.org
        ServerName www.example.org
        ServerAlias example.org *.example.org

        DocumentRoot /var/www
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>

        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

        ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log

        # alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn

        CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128