httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Streater <...@clothears.org.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Stopping httpd.exe on windows
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
On 02 Dec 2013 at 12:42, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Tim Streater <tim@clothears.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I start httpd.exe from a PHP script, using this command string on Win7:
>>
>>   start /b "" /d "c:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
>> Foundation"\Apache2.2\bin httpd.exe -f z:\path\to\my\httpd.conf
>>
>> where z: is some drive letter and the backslashes are doubled as they are
>> within a PHP string. This appears to work OK. However, when it comes to
>> stopping it I have an error message. I'm trying initially from the console
>> prompt:
>>
>>   httpd.exe -k stop -f z:\path\to\my\httpd.conf
>>
>> and the message is:
>>
>>   (OS 5)Access is denied.  : failed to open the Apache2.2 Service
>>
>> What is the right way to do this?

> There's no "right way" unfortunately.  (Somebody needs to add a "-k
> stopconsole" action to do the right thing.)
>
> When you can't hit Ctrl-Break in the console window for an httpd running in
> a console, you have to whack the httpd processes forcibly, and hope that
> nothing needed to be cleaned up.

Jeff,

Thanks for that. The httpd.exe instance is in fact not running in a console, but it amounts
to the same thing in terms of my being unable to cleanly terminate it. taskkill doesn't deal
with the child task, but I did find pskill after a bit of poking around, that will at least
manage that. Ah well. Now I have to verify that I can do that from within a PHP script.

--
Cheers  --  Tim