httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Where is source for Windows? (was Re: Binary windows 2.4.x distribution)
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:21:38 GMT
>> Nobody has posted httpd binaries for Windows to httpd.apache.org in quite
>> a while, and they were never "official" anyway, whatever that means.
>

> Not true.  Cf:
> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/FAQ#Why_isn.27t_there_a_binary_for_my_platform.3F
> Binaries for Windows are official stuffs.  Or if you like, they are *de
> facto* official stuff provided by Apache.

"Right now, there are none. The Apache Software Foundation produces
Open Source Software. The 32 bit binaries provided are a courtesy of
the community members."

>>  Windows is of course supported in the source, and as someone else pointed
>> out there are non-ASF providers of binaries for Windows.
>

> But the lack of specific source for Windows in official FTP server make us
> think otherwise.

There used to be a post-processed archive of the source for windows as
a convenience.  It's the same code.

> But I'd rather like a *clear-cut* situation/announcement instead of an ambiguous one.

I guess it would help to fix these two things:

* download page to not say "unix source". I'll take that as a TODO.
* pub/httpd/binaries/win32/README should have a blurb saying these are
sometimes contributed

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com