httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Arnold <carn...@electrichendrix.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Another mod_proxy Question/Issue
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 02:21:56 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 31, 2013, at 10:06 PM, "Yehuda Katz" <yehuda@ymkatz.net> wrote:
>
> When you say "And this gives me a 403 access denied.", you need to also include the exact
URL that you entered in the browser (minus the hostname if you want).

Sorry, https://share.example.com

> If you have the rewrite rule:
> RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://192.168.123.3:8443/$1 [P]
> and you navigate to https://share.example.com/, you should get exactly the same content
as if you went to https://192.168.123.3:8443/, in this case, the Tomcat homepage.

That is exactly what I get

> 1) When going to BOTH URLs, is that what you see?

Yes

> 2) If the answer is yes, then without making any changes to the HTTPD configuration,
when you go to https://share.example.com/share/ in your browser, do you get the expected result
from tomcat?

Yes

> If you want to remove the /share/ part from the public URL, after you have confirmed
that the above works, this is the rewrite rule you would need:
> RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://192.168.123.3:8443/share/$1 [P]

This is the one that gives the tomcat 404 and adds the extra /share

> - Y
>

>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Chris Arnold <carnold@electrichendrix.com>
wrote:
>> >Are you accessing this URL from a web browser or a dedicated program?
>> >The implication is that your client might be requesting (or the web application
redirecting to) https://share.example.com/share/ which you are rewriting to already include
the >/share/, therefore, the doubled share.

>> Accessing directly from browser. So i tried this:
>>
>> RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://192.168.123.3:8443/$1 [P]
>>
>> And this takes me right to the tomcat home page, /
>>
>> Tried this:
>>
>> RewriteRule ^/share/(.*) https://192.168.123.3:8443/share/$1 [P]
>> And this gives me a 403 access denied.

>>> If i remember right, this gave the same error.
>>>
>>> As i try different things and think about this, i am going to need multiple clients
to access this web app securely like so https://share.anydomain.tld and will need apache to
send those requests to tomcat. Yehuda, if i remember right, you set this up for me with the
mail server. So, i copied that entry and changed to fit the share url: