httpd-users mailing list archives

From Milo Hyson <m...@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Why is relative linking bad?
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:40:11 GMT
I was instructed to bring this discussion to this list from bugzilla. If that instruction was
incorrect, I apologize.

- Milo Hyson
Chief Scientist
CyberLife Labs, Inc.

On Nov 4, 2013, at 1:56 PM, Yehuda Katz <yehuda@ymkatz.net> wrote:

> This is not an Apache HTTPD issue.
>
> That said, the article you linked to is specifically about WordPress - defending their
decision to make ALL links absolute links.
> I worked on a government project (using Wordpress) that required that all URLs be relative
unless absolutely necessary and we had to add a plugin to undo all of that linking.

> - Y
>

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com> wrote:
> I've been using relative links in content for many years without any trouble. It has
been suggested this is a bad practice, but the reasons given I haven't found terribly convincing.
I may be wrong, but it seems as though people are using relative linking as a scapegoat for
generally bad practices.

> Take the following article for instance: http://yoast.com/relative-urls-issues/
>
> The way I see it, if broken links are being deployed then testing isn't thorough enough.
If a test environment is accessible to uninvolved parties (e.g. spiders) then testing isn't
controlled enough. If multiple paths exist to the same content without good reason, then the
architecture is poor.

> Looking around Google, this seems to be rather representative of the arguments. Relative
links are bad because when they're combined with other issues that should never happen the
results are undesirable. That's not good enough for me. Does anybody have a better reason?