httpd-users mailing list archives

From Milo Hyson <m...@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Why is relative linking bad?
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 21:42:51 GMT
I've been using relative links in content for many years without any trouble. It has been suggested
this is a bad practice, but the reasons given I haven't found terribly convincing. I may be
wrong, but it seems as though people are using relative linking as a scapegoat for generally
bad practices.

Take the following article for instance: http://yoast.com/relative-urls-issues/

The way I see it, if broken links are being deployed then testing isn't thorough enough. If
a test environment is accessible to uninvolved parties (e.g. spiders) then testing isn't controlled
enough. If multiple paths exist to the same content without good reason, then the architecture
is poor.

Looking around Google, this seems to be rather representative of the arguments. Relative links
are bad because when they're combined with other issues that should never happen the results
are undesirable. That's not good enough for me. Does anybody have a better reason?

- Milo Hyson
Chief Scientist
CyberLife Labs, Inc.