httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Daviel <ad...@triumf.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache not recording client addresses correctly
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 01:03:37 GMT
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, John Iliffe wrote:

> I'm no expert on this sort of problem but I notice that the first and last
> addresses logged both point to:
>
>   name = voip-98-144-147-0.wi.rr.com.
>   name = voip-98-144-141-0.wi.rr.com.
>
> Any chance someone is accessing your web site from a cell phone instant
> messaging service?

That seems very unlikely.

If I connect from two different machines here, with 142.90/16 addresses,
both connections are logged as 98.32.133.0, or 98.32.18.0 etc. Which
are subnet addresses, not host addresses.

   --
huh! wtf?  - if I enable /server-status, the correct address for the
client asking for /server-status, is not just logged, but resolved, even

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)