httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Dart <jonathand...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Help me understand "Waiting for Connection"
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:52:13 GMT
Hello Users,

I've been monitoring full-status output and I've noticed some unexpected
results. If I request "http://localhost/server-status" every 1 second for 5
seconds, on the last request apache reports that it has 5 active requests
all with a "Request" of /server-status and a "Mode of Operation" of
"Waiting for Connection". If right away I again request "
http://localhost/server-status" every 1 second for 5 seconds, the output of
server-status basically stays the same showing 5 active requests.

This makes me think that for the first 5 requests apache started up a new
worker to handle each one, and the worker waited for further requests, but
for the next 5 requests apache decided that client had enough workers
dedicated to it and recycled the existing waiting workers.

I experimented with sending a "Connection: close" header but it didn't
change the outcome.

Is what I described above expected?
Is the output of /server-status accurately reporting he status of the
server?
What configuration does the number of 5 come from?

I'm using Apache/2.2.16 (Debian), the prefork variety.

The prefork config looks like:
    StartServers          5
    MinSpareServers       5
    MaxSpareServers      10