httpd-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Curchod <timof...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Permission Still Denied with Moodle
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 23:12:47 GMT
Hi,
Just thought I'd give an update in case anyone else is having server problems on Fedora 19
now that it uses FirewallD and sees this thread later.  A permanent solution is to copy the
zone file you want from /usr/lib/firewalld/zones/ to /etc/firewalld/zones/ then edit that
file to add a service and a port:<service name="http"/><port port="80" protocol="tcp|udp"/>Reboot
and the site is served.  A zone is a settings profile.  The one active by default on my system
was public.xml, which is described as "For use in public areas. You do not trust the other
computers on networks to not harm your computer. Only selected incoming connections are accepted."
 I'm not sure how secure this is, as many people still use iptables and consider FirewallD
too new for their security, so if anyone has any ideas about safer settings, I'd be willing
to listen.I didn't try Paul's advice to set my "residential" router to a static IP as I connect
to the internet through a cable modem that changes the IP if it gets turned off, and since
the router works for other boxes and I found a solution with FirewallD, I went with that.
Thanks again for all the help,
Timothy Curchod.
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:32:39 -0400
To: users@httpd.apache.org
From: stormy22@stormy.ca
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Permission Still Denied with Moodle

At 10:00 PM 10/14/2013 -0400, Yehuda Katz wrote:

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 6:06 AM,
Timothy Curchod
<timofeyc@hotmail.com>
wrote:

The bad news is that in the error log there is nothing when going to
http://192.186.1.100/info.php
or http://*my*.*ip*.*goes*.*here*/info.php.  Localhost works fine.

 So if there is no error in the httpd error_log, then I am on the wrong mailing list now,
right?  It's not an Apache problem, it's a network setup/hardware issue.

To recap, the problem now is that requests through localhost work properly and other requests
time out. Is that correct?

To me this really indicates that either Apache is not listening on other IPs (which we went
through already) or (not sure why I did not mention this sooner) you might have a firewall
in the way. Can you check if you have a firewall (like iptables) running on the system?

I *could* be way off track, but, as I wrote previously, this user has a "Linksys WRT54C router
using Automatic Configuration DHCP" -- this is quite an old residential item, and istr that
these were problematic. I can't even remember if it's a modem as well as a router. In any
case, try setting it to static IP (or particularly if it's a modem, set to "straight through",
disable any IP intervention and rely on your server set up for routing and firewall.)

Best - Paul