httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Barchuk ...@jbarchuk.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 21:13:55 GMT
HiHi!

> How do you tell if a server is running apache?
> * I can see processes running.
> * I can't surf to it - website is online but isn't responding to connection 	attempts.

apachectl status will tell you if it's running. apachectl fullstatus will
give more details and info about current connections.

The logs will tell you about attempted/successful/failed connections (for
requests that reach the server.)

If there's no log info then that means no connections were attempted and
as was suggested a firewall (router or software) may have blocked it.

It's even possible to configure the server such that it's running but told
to not respond to any requests.

ping www.domain should produce a response, again though as long as nothing
blocks it and the server is not configured to ignore them.

tcpdump can show if traffic is at least attempting to knock on the
server's door.

Did it -used- to work, but now it fails, or is this a new install/config?

Have a :) day!

jb

--
Jim Barchuk