httpd-users mailing list archives

From "plot.lost" <plot.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Website access without initial www.
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:55:20 GMT

On 11/09/2013 18:46, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Using Apache2.2.22 on a Debian7 server.
> Hosting multiple websites, but have reduced it to just one for now to try
> to figure out this problem.
> So, if I go to: www.vostok1.com the website shows up.
> HOWEVER, if I go to just: vostok1.com from outside our company network, I
> get the error "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access / on this
> server."
>  From inside the company network, however, it works fine.

Looks like a different server is answering the www one and the non www one.

Two requests made at the same time, come back with the following in the
headers:

www.vostok1.com:

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:27:17 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
Vary: Accept-Encoding

vostok1.com:

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:49:55 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding

Although the requests were at the same time (well, within a few seconds)
the time in the response is different by more than 23 minutes. Also the
second one did not include the server: header identifying itself as Apache.

Do you have some sort of device (firewall, loadbalancer etc) that is
between your apache instance and the internet connection - this could be
intercepting the requests and handling them differently.