httpd-users mailing list archives

From Noah Duffy <noahdu...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Changing the User Which Runs Apache
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 23:42:47 GMT
On Aug 7, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Yehuda Katz <yehuda@ymkatz.net> wrote:

> Check out how the default configuration of apache works on Debian/Ubuntu. They run as
the user www-data and have the correct permissions set on the /var/www folder.

I'm running Ubuntu Server 12.04 and just checked the default permissions on /var/www and the
owner is actually root. Apache is run as www-data, however.

The problem I'm having is knowing exactly what to do. Someone has already suggested not having
the owner of /var/www be the same user that is running Apache. I'm not one to say if that
is correct or not, but it confuses me a little more on how to make sure the directory is writable
for any PHP I may be using.

--
Noah Duffy
noahduffy@fastmail.fm