httpd-users mailing list archives

From Pi Dizayn <pidiz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Form problem with non-ascii characters (æ or ß)
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:59:12 GMT
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Jim Albert <jim@netrition.com> wrote:

> On 6/26/2013 9:50 AM, Pi Dizayn wrote:
>
>> Update; When I make

>> http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=utf-8'>
>> it works. But

>> doesn't work.
>>

> My apologies... German ß and Greek β mess-up on my part. German ß is in
> fact Western.
>
> I think you need to decide on what charset you want your site/page to
> support.
>
> iso-8859-9 looks like Turkish:
> http://www.charset.org/**charactersets.php?charset=iso-**8859-9<http://www.charset.org/charactersets.php?charset=iso-8859-9>
> I wouldn't expect German character ß to exist in a Turkish charset.
>
> I'd expect any charset mismatches to result in the browser sending entity
> references which seems to be the case in my experience, but not just
> failing dropping the connection, but my experience is only with ISO-8859-1
> and UTF-8 and the experience will likely be browser specific in addition to
> any charset settings specifically on the browser.
>
> I found this to be a good read when I was wading through charset
> conversion issues:
> http://htmlpurifier.org/docs/**enduser-utf8.html<http://htmlpurifier.org/docs/enduser-utf8.html>
>
> Any AddDefaultCharset settings between your old Apache server and new one
> could play a role.
>
> UTF-8 can simplify things but then you have to be prepared in terms of
> what you are going to do with that data including storage.

Sorry to confuse you. I gaved æ and ß as an example because you don't know
Turkish special characters and not sure if you can see them. Here they are;
"Ç Ğ İ Ş Ü". I also upload an image for matching if the list member see
them right. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/fh4j.png/

Here is a simple form from that server. Very interestingly if I change
"Character Encoding" from browser other than Turkish it works. Even "ISO
8859-8"(Hebrew), which doesn't have "Ç Ğ İ Ş Ü", is OK.