httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Albert <...@netrition.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Form problem with non-ascii characters (æ or ß)
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:00:44 GMT
On 6/26/2013 9:50 AM, Pi Dizayn wrote:
> Update; When I make

> http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=utf-8'>
> it works. But

> doesn't work.

My apologies... German ß and Greek β mess-up on my part. German ß is in
fact Western.

I think you need to decide on what charset you want your site/page to
support.

iso-8859-9 looks like Turkish:
http://www.charset.org/charactersets.php?charset=iso-8859-9
I wouldn't expect German character ß to exist in a Turkish charset.

I'd expect any charset mismatches to result in the browser sending
entity references which seems to be the case in my experience, but not
just failing dropping the connection, but my experience is only with
ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 and the experience will likely be browser specific
in addition to any charset settings specifically on the browser.

I found this to be a good read when I was wading through charset
conversion issues:
http://htmlpurifier.org/docs/enduser-utf8.html

Any AddDefaultCharset settings between your old Apache server and new
one could play a role.

UTF-8 can simplify things but then you have to be prepared in terms of
what you are going to do with that data including storage.