httpd-users mailing list archives

From Miguel González <miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authenticating with subfolders
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 11:47:21 GMT

On 21/05/2013 12:27, Vincenzo D'Amore wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> may be you're right, I read long time ago, but actually don't remember
> exactly the RFC.
> So now I have just implemented such configuration with Apache 2.2.
>
> Into the document root I have created a .htaccess with this configuration:
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Root Restricted Files"
> AuthBasicProvider file
> AuthUserFile /var/www/.htpasswd
> require valid-user
>
> After I created a directory /var/www/test1 where I have created a new
> .htaccess file with this configuration:
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Test1 Restricted Files"
> AuthBasicProvider file
> AuthUserFile /var/www/test1/.htpasswd
> require valid-user
>
> Into /var/www/.htpasswd  there is:
>
> # htpasswd -bn root password
>
> root:UYMXijHR5MW42
>
> Into  /var/www/test1/.htpasswd there is:
>
> # htpasswd -bn test1 password1
>
> test1:P5ENtSmla14FQ
>
> Well, it is working pretty well, please try it.
> I have also tried to add a third directory with different credential,
> every thinks works like a charm :)

Well, I have Apache 2.2.15. What you have showed in your configs is what
I have already tried myself and It doesn't work for me.

When I get authenticated with test1 user, I get another prompt for
entering the root password as well. If I cancel, I get some sort of
degraded version of the index in the root folder which doesn't make
sense to me

Regards,

Miguel