httpd-users mailing list archives

From Pete Houston <...@openstrike.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] users file/folder access outside public_html
Date Sat, 25 May 2013 12:05:23 GMT
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 01:39:51PM +0200, Rafnews wrote:
> Questions:
> 1. how can i allow user to have access to folder/files outside public_html ?

You could use aliases or a specific handler.

> 2. how can i secure that "user A" has access to "his own files ONLY" ?

This is called "authorisation" and you can read all about how apache
does it here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/auth.html

> i searched on internet for some help but i did not find anything
> really revelent...only theory and no really in details.

I am very surprised to hear this. If you cnosider for a moment you will
soon realise that every site on the web which allows users to store
private content does this. Many of those sites are open source. Start
with diaspora, maybe, and go from there.
https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora

Good luck,

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107