httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bennett, Tony" <Bennett.T...@con-way.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Cannot get Apache 2 basic authentication working with CRYPT on Win7
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:51:33 GMT
Win7, by default, disables use of BasicAuthentication unless the connection is via SSL.

Check out this link:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robert_mcmurray/archive/2008/01/17/webdav-redirector-registry-settings.aspx

Look at this attribute:  BasicAuthLevel

One alternative is to switch to Digest authentication.

-tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Bo Berglund [mailto:bo.berglund@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:06 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Cannot get Apache 2 basic authentication working with CRYPT on Win7

I have a local Apache 2.2 server on my development PC. It is running
on Windows7X64.
Some of our folders are protected and we use .htpasswd files to
authenticate the users with CRYPT-ed passwords.
THe whole website is version controlled in CVS and I work on a checked
out copy of the website.

Now I need to develop some PHP scripts and these need to know which
user is logged on so for debugging I must get the authentication
going.
But so far I have been out of luck using the file with CRYPT:ed
passwords.

I discovered:
If I use the htpasswd command to create a password on the Win7 box it
seems to totally disregard the command line switch to make a CRYPT
password, instead it always forces use of MD5.

On the real server (at Network Solutions) the normal .htpasswd file
works just fine.

How can I make Apache2.2 on Win7X64 use the existing passwords so I
can continue developing the PHP scripts?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden