httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Coughlin, Michael J" <Michael.Cough...@opm.gov>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] rewritecond problem
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2013 16:28:24 GMT
Yes agree which is why I ask if it IS in the URL, which it is, and there is 1 match, not zero,
it works as if there is zero mathching, because it it being ingored, but should not be.  So
I ask if the nature of the optional match is to just ignore it anyways even if it does match.
 I hope I am explaining correctly.

________________________________
From: Igor Cicimov [icicimov@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:36 PM
To: users
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] rewritecond problem

On 24/02/2013 2:29 PM, "Coughlin, Michael J" <Michael.Coughlin@opm.gov<mailto:Michael.Coughlin@opm.gov>>
wrote:

> I have a RewriteCond issue:
>

> I have a URI: /II/anydirectory/anyfile
>

> I can get an exact match:
>

> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/II/([^/]+)/(.+)$
>

> So if I want the /II part to be optional in the match:
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/II)?/([^/]+)/(.+)$
>

> Now any thing can get through, since the /II part is optional, it seems to be taken out
of the equation and I am left with the equivalent of:

> Of course /II/anyfile now matches, not the required /II/anydirectory/anyfile
>

> So why is the fact that (/II)?
The ? means zero or one of II which means when not present matches anything really do you
agree??

IS in the URI, but not considered now as part of the overall match?  Is this just a rule of
optional groupings that they will get ignored in the match?