httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hedley Finger <hedley.fin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Conflict between Alias, <Directory>, and RewriteRule hides local directory from Apache httpd?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:38:55 GMT
See the first message in this thread for the httpd.conf and
ledgersmb-httpd.conf files pertinent to the ongoing problem of an alias and
rewrite directive not being processed as expected, and Apache httpd being
unable to open a local directory to run a Perl file.

Progress of sorts. Commenting out

    #DocumentRoot "C:/Program_Files/Apache/htdocs"

caused the 404 Not Found error to go away, to be replaced by the much more
interesting 403 Forbidden error, and giving this line in logs/error.log:

    [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration:
C:/apache

Ignoring the fact that httpd is actually installed in
C:/Program_Files/Apache, could this error be caused because I commented out

    #User daemon
    #Group daemon

the default user written into the httpd.conf file by the Windows installer.
 As far as I know services (daemons) on Windows do not run as users.  What
say you?

On 29 January 2013 07:56, Hedley Finger <hedley.finger@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 January 2013 00:55, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:39:06 +0100
>> Daniel Gruno <rumble@cord.dk> wrote:
>>
>> > Top posting, as this is a long email.
>> > Please see:
>> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/rewrite/flags.html#flag_pt
>>

> Daniel: According to the PT flag documentation, when RewriteRule is
> defined inside a <Directory ...>, PT is automatically applied.  Still
> getting a 404 Not Found with PT actually specified.
>

>> Disagree.  This is a case of overcomplicating: there's no excuse
>>  to play with mod_rewrite, and it's not even clear that the use of
>> alias isn't a sticking-plaster over a less-than-optimal
>> arrangement of the filesystem.
>>

> I know nothing about Apache httpd and .conf files. The
> ledgersmb-httpd.conf file is supplied by the developers as is. Installation
> onto Windows is complicated by having to translate Ubuntu instructions into
> their Windows equivalents. Not easy.
>
> A pointer to DirectoryIndex (and perhaps FallbackResource)
>> would seem more useful.
>>

> Thanks.  I'll try to nut this out.

Now

    DirectoryIndex index.html login.pl

Can't see how to use FallbackResource when DocumentRoot is disabled. (Of
course, it is going to have to be enabled again.)

>> Oh, and I'd be worrying about that mixing of cases introducing bugs.

Since httpd originally returned the "It Works!" page from
C:/Program_Files/Apache/htdocs/ when http://localhost was entered into the
browser, would changing case be going on.  My guess is that it isn't.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel: +61 3 9809 1229   Mobile (cell): +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hedley.finger@gmail.com>