httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robin Miller <cmplx...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Allowing users to view content of password-protected directory
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:29:36 GMT

Michael, thanks so much for your help.

I am nervous about removing and reinstalling password protection, as
there are some 150 users who have stored their passwords. (I know I
could save the file.) However, I have confirmed that the password
file is in the proper location (and password protection would be
broken if it weren't, I imagine).

I did try adding an index file, and that does display. So the problem
is that directory listing is being suppressed in password-protected
subdirectories.

I have read a dozen online discussions of this issue, and adding
IndexOptions +ShowForbidden (with or without the +) is always
suggested as the solution to avoiding the suppression of directory
listings. I have added that line of code to the .htaccess files in
both my public_html directory and the password-protected
subdirectory. I have also added Options +Indexes, although it's
unnecessary because directory listing is enabled in
non-password-protected directories.

I have read page after page of Apache documentation, and, while I
have only a general understanding of these matters, only thing I can
see that could cause this behavior is the absence of an AllowOverride
Indexes (or All) directive in the server configuration file.

So I will open a ticket with my hosting company and suggest that as a
possibility.

Thanks again,
Robin