httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alex Chen <alex_c...@filemaker.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache for Windows
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 01:40:08 GMT
I admit there are lots of information of Apache on Windows if you Google
it, but none are from Apache itself.  The latest official Apache build
for Windows is for 2.2.22 and only 32-bit.  The project files are for
Visual Studio 6 and so old I cannot even convert it to Visual Studio 12.

One of the place I found for Windows build is in Apache lounge, but it
does  not include source code and the project configuration with the
binary they published.   I appreciate what they have done but I would
feel more comfortable if I know the source it is built from.  Security
issue prevents a lot of companies from using open soured binary without
knowing the corresponding source code.  But I guess this is how Apache
Lounge can keep itself relevant.

It seems ASF has totally stopped support of Apache HTTP server on
Windows platform in 2.4 either 32-bit or 64-bit, at least officially,
and whatever has been done by third parties on Windows does not get
contributed back to ASF, either.

It is true things are much easier on *nix, but *nix and Windows do not
have be mutually exclusive.  In the real world both camps have their
followers, depends on which area you look. They can and have to co-exist.

On 12/9/2012 8:49 AM, Stormy wrote:
> At 03:20 PM 12/9/2012 +0000, Good Guy wrote:
>
>> Somebody should take the responsibility to write the instructions
>> clearly and succinctly (together with php)
>
> Try a php mailing list?
>
>> so that users can compile the source files for their own use.    I
>> have been working on 2.2.23 for about a week to no avail.  Why can't
>> it be as simple as "hello world" program?
>
> Try Bill Gates?
>
> Although I have to admit that a quick google for 'apache 2.2 windows'
> gives me "About 9,240,000 results (0.27 seconds)" and at least the
> first ten appear relevant.
>
> As a last resort, change windows ==> *nix and experience the ease and
> joy of a proper o/s.
>
> Best - Paul
> tired old sysadmin
>

>> On 07/12/2012 00:33, Alex Chen wrote:
>>> I tried Visual Studio 2008 first but got a lot error messages saying
>>> the project files are corrupted. So I resorted to use command line
>>> tool but it still failed.
>>> These are the error messages:
>>> C:\Projects\Apache\HTTP Server\2.4.3\httpd-2.4.3>nmake /f
>>> Makefile.win _apacher
>>> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 11.00.50727.1