httpd-users mailing list archives

From Igor Cicimov <icici...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] connectiontimout question
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 01:14:03 GMT
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Smith, Mitchell <mitchell.smith@cwc.com>wrote:

> connectiontimeout

I would expect the timeout value for the particular worker or the
ProxyTimeout to be increased and not the connectiontimeout. The
connectiontimeout tells apache how long to wait for the connection to the
backed to be established (helps if you have overloaded backend that can't
respond immediately) wheres the timeout sets the time for which apache
waits for the response from the backend to finish before closing the
connection (helps with large files transfers or slow network or slow
backend).

You are right that increasing the connectiontimeout value will have impact
on the loadbalancing (if you are using one) since it will take apache 10
minutes (in your case) to realise that a particular backend is down. In the
mean time new connections will be still sent to the crashed host so you
don't want to do that so I would keep that value as low as possible.