httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alex Chen <alex_c...@filemaker.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error in accessing the home page
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:57:52 GMT
Thanks for the answer, Knute,

However I have already set ServerRoot to "C:/Program Files/Apache" and DocumentRoot to 'htdocs",
therefore  I assume it implies the document root will be "C:/Program Files/Apache/htdocs",
as indicated in your reply, correct?

The question is why  I have to use <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache/htdocs"> instead
of <Directory "htdocs"> even though DocumentRoot is already set to "htdocs"?

On Nov 29, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:

> On 11/29/2012 3:10 PM, Alex Chen wrote:
>> I downloaded the Apache 2.2.22 Windows msi and installed it as a console app,  I
copied all the files to C:/Program Files/Apache and uninstalled Apache to have a stock copy
of the installation.
>> I made the following changes in httpd.conf.
>>
>> ServerRoot  "C:/Program Files/Apache"
>> Listen 8080
>> LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
>> DocumentRoot "htdocs"
>> ErrorLog "logs/error.log"
>>
>> <Directory "htdocs">
>>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>>     AllowOverride None
>>     Order allow,deny
>>     Allow from all
>> </Directory>
>>
>> When I used IE to access http://localhost:8080, I got the following error:
>> Forbidden
>>
>> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>>
>> Apache/2.2.22 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.1c Server at localhost Port 8080
>>
>> I saw the following entry in error.log
>> [Thu Nov 29 14:15:39 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration:
C:/Program Files/Apache/htdocs/

>> However if I changed the directory setting to the followings, it worked fine even
though the DocumentRoot setting remained the same.

>> <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache/htdocs">
>>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>>     AllowOverride None
>>     Order allow,deny
>>     Allow from all
>> </Directory>
>>
>> It seems that the DocumentRoot directive accepts a relative path name but the <Directory>
structure requires the full path, is that the case?

>> Alex
>
> This directive sets the directory from which httpd will serve files. Unless matched by
a directive like Alias, the server appends the path from the requested URL to the document
root to make the path to the document. Example:

> DocumentRoot /usr/web
>
> then an access to http://www.my.host.com/index.html refers to /usr/web/index.html. If
the directory-path is not absolute then it is assumed to be relative to the ServerRoot.