httpd-users mailing list archives

From Knute Johnson <apa...@knutejohnson.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error in accessing the home page
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:29:27 GMT
On 11/29/2012 3:10 PM, Alex Chen wrote:
> I downloaded the Apache 2.2.22 Windows msi and installed it as a console app,  I copied
all the files to C:/Program Files/Apache and uninstalled Apache to have a stock copy of the
installation.
> I made the following changes in httpd.conf.
>
> ServerRoot  "C:/Program Files/Apache"
> Listen 8080
> LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
> DocumentRoot "htdocs"
> ErrorLog "logs/error.log"
>
> <Directory "htdocs">
>      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>      AllowOverride None
>      Order allow,deny
>      Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> When I used IE to access http://localhost:8080, I got the following error:
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
> Apache/2.2.22 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.1c Server at localhost Port 8080
>
> I saw the following entry in error.log
> [Thu Nov 29 14:15:39 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration:
C:/Program Files/Apache/htdocs/

> However if I changed the directory setting to the followings, it worked fine even though
the DocumentRoot setting remained the same.

> <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache/htdocs">
>      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>      AllowOverride None
>      Order allow,deny
>      Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> It seems that the DocumentRoot directive accepts a relative path name but the <Directory>
structure requires the full path, is that the case?

> Alex

This directive sets the directory from which httpd will serve files.
Unless matched by a directive like Alias, the server appends the path
from the requested URL to the document root to make the path to the
document. Example:

DocumentRoot /usr/web

then an access to http://www.my.host.com/index.html refers to
/usr/web/index.html. If the directory-path is not absolute then it is
assumed to be relative to the ServerRoot.