httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Doe <jd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rotatelogs creates logs as root
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:53:47 GMT
From: MegaBrutal <megabrutal@gmail.com>

>I've encountered a system which is configured to use the rotatelogs application to rotate
logs. For some reason, it creates subsequent log files with root owner, while the log files
should be owned by the Apache user account.
>Why is it, and what can I do to solve this problem?
>Apache runs under a separate user account, only one instance is running as root to be
able to bind to port 80. I don't think rotatelogs should be called as root, or if so, rotatelogs
should chown the files to the Apache user ID.

Check your confs.
By example, the logrotate man page under linux lists the following parameter:
  create mode owner group
JD