httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] WebSockets and Asynchronous IO
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:00:41 GMT
> Overall, I'm struggling to see how Apache continues to fit in a world with
> WebSockets and asynchronous IO playing a larger role. Java servlet engines
> and app servers are jumping on supporting this.  We use Apache for load
> balancing over multiple Tomcat instances and for authentication, including
> its support for SiteMinder and other authentication plug-ins, so I really
> want to see it just handle WebSockets and asynchronous IO on all platforms
> and with SSL.  If that's not in Apache's near-term future, however, that may
> force a re-think of Apache's role here.

There's only support for one asynchronous handler, mod_serf, and it's
tied into the event MPM kind of directly IIRC.  In other words,
everything else ties up a thread while waiting on e.g. proxy I/O or
CGI output.

I don't think anyone is working on making Apache a websockets proxy,
much less an efficient one (much less including Windows in that
efficiency side of the equation). I believe it boils down to being an
efficient TCP proxy which is not the best fit for jamming into Apache
beyond port sharing (but if you had a great TCP proxy, you could just
put it in front).