httpd-users mailing list archives

From Graham Butler <g.but...@hud.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] RE: Moving Apache from Solaris to Linux
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 09:25:46 GMT
I would like to thank all the people who replied to me regarding the question above. As with
many people who run Solaris, we are moving to an alternative OS as a result of the change
of ownership of Solaris from Sun to Oracle. Over the past 6 months we have investigated installing
application from source and packages on all the major Linux distributions. During this process
we got a feel of each of the OS. My next step was to provide some evidence to management on
what the general community was using and why. I now have sufficient testimonials to proceed
from this stage.

I am pleased to say that nearly all the replies I received supported my own conclusions. First
is that Apache will run stably on all the popular flavours of Linux with very little performance
difference.  The second, which was in nearly all the replies, is that the choice of OS was
down to the administrators experience, skills and preferences.

For completes I have include the number of users using each OS, if it was stated in the reply.
Because the sample is so small it may not be an accurately representation. It includes replies
from the BIND, Exim, Apache and Squid mail list for the same question.

                Centos                  5

                Redhat                 5

                Ubuntu                                4

                Debian                  3

                OpenSuse           3

                Gentoo                                2

                Fedro                    1

And finally a summary of the points raised when choosing  which Linux flavour to run Apache.

                Administrators experience and skills

                Administrators preferences.

                Administration time.

                Availability of replacement staff with experience of OS and training requirements.

                Compilation or packages installs.

                Availability  of suitable packages (if not using source).

                Ease of compilation from source (if not using packages)

                update cycle (Cutting edge or stable).

                Online support or commercial support (Budget).

Once again, many thanks for all the people who replied.

Regards,

Graham Butler

Infrastructure Team.

Computing and Library Services.