httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RE: httpd 2.2.22, mod_jk, open_ssl, does not appear to be running secure
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:23:24 GMT
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Law, Bob <Robert.Law@wolterskluwer.com> wrote:
> That must have been a change since 2.0.63.  We are running apache with shibboleth and
httpd-2.0.63.  Our ssl.conf file has the <IfDefine> for SSL, but we don't start up httpd
with -DSSL.

> I'm just glad I got it working.

Perhaps your OS/init scripts was starting the older version of httpd
in a manner you did not understand; this functionality hasn't changed
since httpd 1.3 at the latest. 2.0 documents it explicitly:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#ifdefine
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/httpd.html

Some/most Linux distributions will have init scripts that
automatically insert "-DFEATURE" that cause parts of their generic
httpd.conf to activate, based upon whatever way of expressing
preferences that distribution has blessed.

Eg, in gentoo, you edit "/etc/conf.d/apache2" and add APACHE"_OPTS="-D
SSL", where as in Debian you would run the command "a2enmod ssl",
which presumably does something similar behind the scenes.

Cheers

Tom