httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bhattacharya, Sudip" <sudip.bhattacha...@genpact.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Uploading files to Apache Server
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:52:11 GMT
Hi,

I need a way to upload files to a remote Apache Web Server. Can you guide me on the best option?
I want to avoid setting up a separate FTP server on the same box if possible.

I have seen some options while browsing on the net:
1. WebDav - some sites say that it is an old protocol and performance on WAN would not be
good
2. NETBIOS shares - as it is a windows server, Netbios may work. But performance on WAN connections
is speculated to be bad.
3. Enable FTP protocol on Apache using Mod_ftp. Haven't managed to successfully configure
this module yet.

Also note that the file uploads will be via a JAVA application (not servlet/manual uploads).
So whatever is the option, it should enable uploads via a java application.
The files to upload will vary from 1mb to 30mb to upto 100mb (rare). Average size would be
5mb.
WAN connection would restrict bandwidth to 30-40kbps speed per connection. So the option should
be able to sustain a file upload on such a slow WAN connection.

Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya

This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read,
copied and used only
by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments) and disclosure
or copying of its
contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended recipients must notify
the sender immediately
by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or disclosing
it to a third person.