httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bob Furber <burnsmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Transferring xhr messages between Apache and a Persistent Program
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:09:42 GMT
On 12-09-11 10:43 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> One step up would be to use FastCGI instead of CGI, which would leave
> your request handler running as a separate process but which would
> perform much better as there would be no need to create a new process
> for every request it handles.  That might not require too many changes
> to your code, depending on how it is structured.

We found we were out of our depth with fcgi. We were unable to make
progress with fcgi because:
* of the paucity of documentation
* difficulty to getting any support
* it appears to block file access while it hang-waits for messages.
* we could not figure out how to debug the code with gdbserver and
Eclipse/gdb.

Is there any way of checking for connections and accessing Apache
sockets? Through a custom rolled apache-mod? Any good references that
might be helpful?