httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Karr" <brain...@brainbuz.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] wrong IP address in apache logs
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 02:51:07 GMT
You may want to look at: reverse proxy add forward module for Apache
(mod_rpaf). It cleaned up a big headache for me. You define a list of your
possible proxy sources and what your x-forwarded header is, and it just
takes care of it. The developer's site is http://stderr.net/apache/rpaf/

Although maintained outside the Apache Project it has been available in
Ubuntu since at least Hardy. (package name: libapache2-mod-rpaf). Also since
10.10 is no longer supported, you'll need to upgrade your system to install
any packages.

From: Rajeev Prasad [mailto:rp.neuli@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 7:49 PM
To: apache list
Subject: [users@httpd] wrong IP address in apache logs

Hello,

I am using authentication from another site in intranet (redirect user), but
i am expecting the user's PC IP in the apache logs. I am not seeing that, I
sometimes see VPN IP (when I come over VPN) or IP of a server, which is
entirely different hardware. has no connection to mine.

can anyone help understand and resolve this issue? None of the users coming
to site show their PC IP address in log. I want to fix this ASAP.

server: ubuntu 10.10
apache: 2.2.16

I have following in my site config, in virtual host config:

    ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/mywebsite.error.log

    # alert, emerg.
    LogLevel warn

    CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/mywebsite.access.log combined

ty.