httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben Johnson <...@indietorrent.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to start, without explanation, when certain SSL-related directives are misconfigured
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:24:28 GMT

On 8/22/2012 8:56 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
>> Dovecot dropped its TLS capabilities, but it still started
>> the server and bound to the non-secure port.
>
> I'd personally prefer the server fail startup rather than operate w/o SSL.

While that may be, this preference should not be assumed. Even if the
current behavior (failing to start under said circumstances) is made the
default, I would prefer this to be a configurable behavior.

My post's primary purpose was to underscore the fact that Apache fails
*silently* under the key/cert mismatch scenario.

Perhaps with a sufficiently high log-level this error would be revealed.
But even if that is so, such a critical failure should be logged
regardless of the setting.

Thank you,

-Ben