httpd-users mailing list archives

From Drew Tomlinson <d...@mykitchentable.net>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite And Browser Caching
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 14:55:25 GMT
I've been working at this for days and couldn't figure out why a
mod_rewrite rule wasn't working.  My situation was that I wanted to
redirect this:

http://domain.com/unique_directory/whatever

https://domain.com/unique_directory/whatever

While not redirecting http://domain.com/other_directories/whatever

After beating my head for a few days and realizing first attempts were
creating a rewrite loop, I finally came up with this syntax:

RewriteEngine /On/
RewriteCond /%{HTTPS} off/
RewriteCond /%{REQUEST_URI} \/unique_directory\/ [NC]/
RewriteRule /(.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}

/Yet on the PC I had been using for testing, the redirects were still
failing using both Firefox 14 and Internet Explorer 9.  I had many tabs
open in Firefox so I never closed and reopened it but I did close and
reopen IE9.  Attempts to load pages still timed out just like when I had
the rewrite loop in place.

Also, I had enabled the RewriteLog for debugging with RewriteLogLevel
9.  I thought it odd that I would not see requests from my IP address
hitting the rewrite log.

Finally in desperation, I went to another PC and tested with the same
browsers.  Redirection worked just as I expected it to and I could see
those in the rewrite log.

So now I'm trying to understand how browsers cache information and what
it takes to get them to forget that information.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Drew

--