httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can somebody help me to understand the strange GET requests logged in access.log and error.log ?
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:38:19 GMT
On August 13, 2012 12:20 , Pete Houston <ph1@openstrike.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 06:07:20PM +0200, Carlo Traversa wrote:
>> but I still see GET requests in the access.log
>> So is there something I did wrong or I didn't understand?
> The access log will (by default) contain all the requests to the server
> which are handled by apache, even if that handling is just to deny them.

The wiki page ( https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/ProxyAbuse ) suggests
using mod_security to drop requests so that they do not get logged; you
may want to look into this.

Alternatively, configure your default virtual host to serve absolutely
nothing, ever.  This means moving the directives you have for /doc into
a different virtual host.  You can then set the CustomLog directive for
the default virtual host only to

CustomLog /dev/null "-"

This will prevent anything from being logged for the default virtual
host.  But since the default virtual host will not be serving any
content -- it's only purpose is to catch and deny proxy abuse -- this
doesn't matter.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org