httpd-users mailing list archives

From Norman Peelman <npeel...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] virtual host precedence ?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:57:23 GMT
On 07/10/2012 10:20 AM, Roland Roland wrote:
> Can anyone help me out in understand how/why virtual host take
> precedence on the same ip ?
> like i always face an issue where two distinct virtual hosts are set.
> the first works, the second doesn't unless i bump it up so it becomes
> the first listed in the conf file.

   The first defined/created virtual-host serves as the default when
nothing else matches. How are you defining your virtual-hosts?
Chances are you don't have them set up correctly.

example (* matches on any IP apache is bound on.):

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
    # when nothing else matches ServerName or ServerAlias, apache comes here
    ServerAdmin <email address>
    ServerName example.com
    ServerAlias www.example.com
    DocumentRoot "/path/to/files"
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
    # matches on ServerName or ServerAlias
    ServerAdmin <email address>
    ServerName example2.com
    ServerAlias www.example2.com
    DocumentRoot "/path/to/files2"
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
    # matches on ServerName or ServerAlias
    ServerAdmin <email address>
    ServerName example3.com
    ServerAlias www.example3.com
    DocumentRoot "/path/to/files3"
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm
</VirtualHost>

   The 'NameVirtualHost *' directive may be located in your main apache
(httpd) .config file, and your VirtualHosts could be in the same file or
a separate .config file, or individual files themselves. If all together
then make the first one point to a default setup (site map?, redirect?).
If individual files then make sure the default VirtualHost filename is
something guaranteed to be loaded first, like '000-default' or similar.
I think my initial installation came that way.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062