httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Bakshi" <joyd...@infoservices.in>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to collect username from http header ?
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:50:40 GMT
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:39:13 -0400
Jeff Dyke <jeff.dyke@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM, J. Bakshi <joydeep@infoservices.in> wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:44:04 +0530
> > "J. Bakshi" <joydeep@infoservices.in> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear list,
> >>
> >> I have a git setup where user can authenticate via https based on htpasswd authentication.
> >> I need some more fine tuning ; hence I like to know the username for the specific
connection.
> >> Say user1 has authenticated successfully, and I like to compare his ACL based
on another file.
> >> How can I know the connection using username as user1 ?
> >> Could anyone give me any clue how to do that ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > IS it "RequestHeader set X-Auth-User"  ?
> >
> > If yes, then what module should I install ?
> >
> > Thanks
> if they are authenticated via htpasswd via BasicAuth or similar, it
> should be available to you as "REMOTE_USER" with no additional modules
> installed.  Though accessing it will be different for different
> languages.

Thanks for the clue. Here I'm using bash script. Shall ${REMOTE_USER} sufficient ?

Once more idea is running in my head. Why not check refs/heads/master against a
htpassword file. The present config for git push is

[..]

<LocationMatch "/git/.*/git-receive-pack$">
AuthType Basic
# Message to give to the committer
AuthName "Write access requires a password"
# File listing users with write (commit) access
AuthUserFile /home/git/pushACL
Require valid-user
</LocationMatch>

[..]

As you can see, it checks all push attempt against a htpassword file. Can I add
one more check here to check the refs/heads/master push attempt against a file too ?

Thanks