httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Unruh <un...@physics.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Denial of Service due to multiplication of httpd running
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 15:42:12 GMT
On Thu, 24 May 2012, Pete Houston wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 07:47:37PM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
>> But this is clearly a horrible kludge. Is there any way I can figure
>> out what is triggering these versions of httpd
>> to be piling up?
>
> Since you've looked at the logs and not found anything there (or at
> least eliminated what problems you have found), mod_status would be
> a good next step.
>
> If there is some reason why you cannot enable mod_status, then check who
> is holding the connections open with netstat.

Unfortunately I am a bit out of my depth here. How do I enable mod_status and
then use it? And what exactly do I look for in netstat. I see nothing in
netstat -pa just shows one httpd listaning on port www and one on port https

which I presume is the master daemon listening for connections. (what do the
other 8 daemons which are started up do?)

tcp        0      0 *:www                       *:* LISTEN      6105/httpd
tcp        0      0 *:https                     *:* LISTEN      6105/httpd

It also shows
tcp        0      0 boson:www                   mail5.alphameric.com:31040 FIN_WAIT2   -

Why would it be waiting for a shutdown from the remote end?

It does seem to be stuck. (ie, I do netstat -pa ten minutes apart and that
line is still there)

This address occurs in the logs as downloading my "thirdman" page
(www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/thirdman/thirdman.html) which has a huge load of
pictures on it.

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     unruh@physics.ubc.ca