httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Build problem
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 22:40:52 GMT
On May 30, 2012 17:28 , Bill Vance <pro@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
> Actually I'm running KUbuntu 10.04, Lucid Lunatic, or Lynx, or
> whatever that stupid name is, on an i386-32  One of the problems
> here are utils like apt-get, aptitude, and synaptic, etc.

So load a fresh KUbuntu system -- at this point, I think you may have
made enough changes to your current system that it might be difficult to
get things to work -- and then do a web search for "apache kubuntu".
Here are some of the top search results, which seem to have simple,
straightforward instructions for your particular situation:

http://phpweby.com/node/21
https://rockmanx.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/installing-ubuntus-apache2-local-webserver/

> They
> work real good if you only want to deal with .deb archives, but
> don't seem to leave much in the way of a program directory behind
> them, which some things require for working with them.

I don't understand this statement at all.  Program directory?  Require
for working with them?  Normally you'd install a package and get some
configuration files and startup scripts under /etc, some binaries under
/usr/bin and /usr/sbin, and web pages under /var/www.  Customize your
config file (set the server name, etc.), drop in your content or web
application under /var/www, start the service, and you're up and running.

> Actually I just tried your pre-package suggestion, and PHP5 started
> complaining about deprecated, "#"'s on line 0 in it's /etc/* files,
> and apache2 quit working at all.

This isn't enough information to help you.  You don't say which one
pre-packaged Apache+PHP distribution you picked, how you installed it,
what changes you made, nor what you tried that resulted in PHP complaining.

In any event, now that we know you're running on KUbuntu, I'd recommend
not downloading a separate non-Ubuntu LAMP stack, but instead using what
Kubuntu provides -- it's the easiest and most standard thing to do in
your specific situation.

Also, take things in stages:  get Apache HTTP Server set up and serving
static content first, then try getting PHP running.  If you have trouble
with PHP inside the web server, then try running a PHP script from the
command line -- if you can't get PHP to run from the command line, it
will never run from inside the web server.

But, again, I suspect that you likely have several things that are
messed up on your system from your previous attempts at installing and
getting things working.  Start over with a fresh KUbuntu installation if
possible.  If it's not possible to reload the system you've been working
on, consider setting up a VM guest system in which to experiment and
learn and get things working, which you can reload as many times as needed.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org