httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] simple easy way to turn to maintenance mode
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 16:43:58 GMT
On May 27, 2012 7:42 , Miguel Gonzalez <miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es> wrote:
>     I'm administering Apache and Tomcat web servers. From time to time we have to turn
the web server down and would be nice to have a maintenance mode message to the users.

Why do you have to do maintenance?

If you need to update the web server kernel, libraries, and so on, then
you should have another physical web server at which you can point your
load balancer (or DNS).  This can be a very small, simple server that
just serves a single static page.  Alternatively, your load balancer may
be able to do this itself already without the need for another physical
server.

If what you are doing maintenance on is actually a web application and
it's database, then you may be able to keep Apache HTTP Server running
to provide the maintenance mode message.  The easiest way to do this is
with login in the web application itself.  However, you could also have
a second set of Apache HTTP Server configuration files that cause httpd
to do nothing but serve the static maintenance message for all URLs
under your web virtual hosts -- when you begin maintenance, stop httpd
and start it up again using the new configuration files, and when you
end maintenance stop httpd and start it using your regular configuration
files.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org