httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anam Ali Khan <anamalik...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help troubleshooting performance issue, after "1000 total children" Apache no longer responds to HTTP requests. Not MaxClients issue?
Date Sat, 05 May 2012 10:02:35 GMT
PJ

You have increased "Max Open files" setting BUT i think you should increased "open files descriptor"
limit at operating system level.

There is a linux kernel parameter "file-max" in /proc that does the trick. Try increasing
to 10000000.

Hope this will help

Thanks!
Anam

________________________________
 From: P J <pauljflists@gmail.com>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, 5 May 2012, 0:20
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Help troubleshooting performance issue, after "1000 total children"
Apache no longer responds to HTTP requests. Not MaxClients issue?

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM, P J <pauljflists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The closer MinSpareServers/MaxSpareServers are, the more time
>>> Apache needs to spend killing and creating child processes
>>> to ensure it stays within that narrow limit
>>> On May 3, 2012, at 2:40 PM, P J wrote:
>>>

>> Thanks. Yes, I understand that. I set them both to that number to try and
>> induce the issue we've been seeing.
>> If I set:
>>
>> MinSpareServers  1024
>> MaxSpareServers  2048
>>
>> 1000+ simultaneous connections is not uncommon this server.
>>

>This is unlikely to have a major effect on your issue, as I believe
>something strange is going on when you reach 1024 processes, but why
>do you have MinSpareServers so high?
>
>If you start 1024 children initially, and then 900 of them are busy,
>you are asking httpd to ensure there are at least 1924 children. It
>seems massive overkill to ensure that there are so many idle
>processes.
>
>If your high water mark is (say) 1536 clients, and you start 1024
>processes, then I would go with settings like this:
>
>MinSpareServers 128
>MaxSpareServers 1536
>StartServers 1024
>MaxClients 2048
>ServerLimit 2048
>
>So, you start with 1024 processes, increasing up to a maximum of 2048
>processes. If there are ever more than 1536 processes idle, kill some
>off.
>
>Cheers
>
>Tom

Thanks Tom, I agree. I don't normally have MinSpareServers at 1024, I was just trying
to see if I can force it to throw the:

"[debug] mpm_common.c(663): (70007)The timeout specified has expired: connect to listener
on [::]:80 error". error.

Which I can. The million $ questions is what is the magic 1024 limit I'm hitting.

I'll hopefully try with a later version of Apache and let the list know if that resolves it.

Thanks again.

--
PJ