httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Inheritance of variable COLUMNS in apache2
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:22:22 GMT
On 23.04.12 13:45, Petr Hracek wrote:
>I have observed some tricky problem with environtment variable COLUMNS
>during the starting of apache2-2.2.21
>
>Sometimes this variable is set to more then 80 characters and higher variable
>causes problems with CGI scripts which check ps output
>
>Do you have any idea why this variable is set to more then 80
>characters and how to unset them?

I found this to be a problem in Debian 6.0 and some Ubuntu versions,
which set COLUMNS and LINES in /etc/csh.cshrc environment variables.

I have filled up bugreport because that pretty sucks (bash sets COLUMNS
and LINES too, but as its variables, not environment). It should be
fixed already, but you may comment it on your system.

To fix, use "ww" as option for 'ps' so it does not truncats its output.
"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]