httpd-users mailing list archives

From Fredrik Jonson <fred...@jonson.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Stop mod_ssl from sending empty packets (if it ever does)?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:54:54 GMT
Hi all,

I'm running Apache 2.2.16 with mod_ssl on Debian Squeeze, and I've stumbled
on a issue related to mod_ssl.

I have application clients running on windows mobile 6.5 that make requests
against the debian server using https. Regularily the requests fails even
though the network is just fine otherwise.

I've found a ms kb article that matches the client failure and in that case
the cause described is:

  "This problem occurs because the server sends an empty
   encryption packet to the device during the secure communication."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970549

A suggested solution is:

  "Reconfigure the server to avoid generating empty encryption packets."

Does mod_ssl send empty packets in some cases? And if so, is there any way
to change the configuration of mod_ssl to avoid that? Or is this maybe
certificate algorithm related?

We use a valid ssl certificate, 2048 bit RSA/SHA-1 signed by DigiCert, the
server is on a rock solid network. Also, if we try the exact same client
code, but against another system f.x. https://www.google.com/ we are unable
to reproduce the failure.

Any ideas?

--