httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.4 virtualhosts
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:38:02 GMT
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Brett @Google
<brett.maxfield@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is order significant ?

I think order is only significant in these cases:

1) the first-listed is the default if no name/alias match
2) if you have duplicate servername/servername or
serveralias/serveralias [untested, presuming consistent results]

> In your example it checks in the virtual hosts matching ip:port in
> config file order :
>
> 1. ServerName www.example.com
>
> 2. ServerName gone.example.com
>
> 3. ServerName forbidden.example.com
>    ServerAlias *.example.com
>
> The wildcard is last in your example, in mine it is first. Is it as
> simple as changing the order so more specific non-wildcard servernames
> match first and the wildcard last ? Bummer :)

I'm not sure about wildcard serverlias in first-listed vhost.  It's
_already_ the default for anything that doesn't match another
serveralias or servername, so you may be covering up subsequent
specific serveraliases with this wildcard serveralias.  Does that
maybe explain the symptom?

I don't think we'll work hard to find a "better" serveralias but I
have never looked at that part of the resolution.  It would be nice to
document that final part.