httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question about mod_status
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:28:01 GMT
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM, arianna.manlio@yahoo.com
<arianna.manlio@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to optimize performance of my web server (Debian Squeeze 64bit,
> it's a VM virtual machine with 4 GByte RAM and 4 vCpu).
> I'm using standard "deb" package and apache-prefork, with php running as
> module.
>
> I think /server-status give me a lots of information, but how can I start
> customizing directive?
> For example, if I see several "K" (keepalive), this is bad?
> The problem is: during day I notice OOM errors, and website are responding
> slowly.
> So, I'm trying to understand if I must raise my resources, or simply change
> my apache2.conf
> Thankyou very much!

Keep-alive starvation with prefork - seen that before.

Keep-alives are good, they improve the user experience. However, with
prefork and php as a module, each keepalive connection is an idle PHP
interpreter using memory. If more requests come in, you will need to
spawn more Apache children, and with each child, a new PHP
interpreter.

Personally, I would move to event MPM, and use fcgi to talk to PHP.
You can then strictly control the size (number of processes) of your
PHP application, Apache will handle keep-alives almost for free with
event MPM, and you will have more control over your VPS.

Cheers

Tom